Friday 3 January 2014

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (Review)

Wow! So, I haven't posted a review since JULY. And I am SUPER sorry... This school year has been absolutely insane for me and I didn't really understand when people said Junior year was the hardest but, I would say they were beyond right. I've had to do more work this year than ever. High school is kicking my behind. Along with play practice and all of my other theater things, well, I've had close to no time to read or review. And I miss it. A lot. So that, my friends, is why I am BACK! I have made it a goal to go back to my review ways and post a review every week! Obviously today isn't Sunday, but I just finished this book and felt the need to review. I apologize for the super long paragraph filled with dumb excuses.... ONTO THE REVIEW! (Did you miss my overuse of capitalization?) (and my overuse of parentheses to give little tidbits of information you guys REALLY didn't need?)

************************************


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Number of Pages: 416
For ages 13+

"If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?" -Goodreads

I have been on a MAJOR contemporary romance kick lately... Seriously cannot get enough of it. And this book was exactly what I was looking for! Sidenote (as if I don't make enough already): I had no idea this was the same author of The Statistical Probablity of Love at First Sight until after I bought the book! COOL!

This book was filled with all my favorite kinds of things. A swoony boy, a hilarious, quirky, main character, and... Did I mention a swoony boy? Just thought I should make that known just in case any of you forgot. 

Ellie is the kind of character you wish you knew. She's gutsy, she's super funny, and she's unbelievably sweet. And while she has faults, you just can't help but have this need to help her. Even though that's pretty much impossible. (Crazy, I know.) Ellie has had some hardships in her past and it causes her to be a bit wary when it comes to some things. (I can just hear my English teacher right now, "Julia, there's a better word to use there instead of 'things.'" BUT I'M NOT ABOUT TO GIVE STUFF AWAY.) There were times when I just wanted to tell the poor girl that it was okay to be a little adventurous. To just let things happen. But who am I kidding? I'm a complete wuss and if I were in her shoes, I would probably be doing the same stuff she was doing. But hey, if there was a swoony boy involved, maybe I would have been a bit more adventurous in her shoes. 

If I hadn't made it clear enough in my previous paragraphs, there's a swoony boy in this book. (SAY WHAT?) Not to mention he's a STINKING MOVIE STAR. I loved the fact that in the emails between Graham and Ellie we really got to see their personalities. They didn't know who the other person was on the other side of the computer screen and they weren't afraid to tell some of their deepest feelings. Plus, their banter back and forth was beyond adorable. Like, seriously, people, (I think I misused all of those commas...) the amount of sweet in this book could give you cavities.  

I loved the fact that we got both points of view in this book. We got to see that Graham isn't just some stuck up, pampered movie star. We see that he had a normal childhood, and we see his inner struggles. (As cliche as that sounds.) And some of the things he said had me falling back on my bed and sighing, stereotypical teenage girl style, I know. This is why I have unrealistic expectations of teenage boys, people. BECAUSE OF THESE BOOKS. Do I stop reading, though? No I most definitely do not... 

And while I rave and rave about the swoony-ness of this book, I couldn't help but feel unresolved in the end. Don't get me wrong, I loved everything else about this book, as you can tell. But, the ending just didn't feel like enough for me. There was something more that I think I was wanting from it that I just didn't get. It may just be a me thing. I'm the kind of person who lives off of resolved endings. And this one kind of did, just not enough for me. It ended with possibility instead of a for sure thing. Which is completely okay! Just not my taste. But do not, I repeat DO NOT, let that keep you from reading this book. It will make your heart flutter and make you wish you could have a boyfriend that was a sweet, sensitive movie star. 

I give this book 4 out of 5 diva crowns! It had me swooning every other page and gave me the teenage girl giggles. I'm pretty sure there were moments in this book where I was all alone in my room smiling to myself. I highly recommend this book to contemporary romance lovers! This book will leave you feeling light and fluffy. (Because apparently, to me, that's a feeling...) 

               

******************************************

Thanks so much for reading! I'm sorry I've been absent for so long, but I'm back! I hope everyone's rest of the week is filled with *sparkles* and that everyone had a FANTABULOUS New Years!

No comments: