Sunday 16 September 2012

The Secret Trinity: Unearth by Jenna Bernel (Review)


Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
Number of Pages: 218
For ages 15+


"Aria Darwin has always considered herself cursed. She is obsessed with finding a cure for the bad boyfriend plague. Worse yet, she’s in denial about her weird abilities and terrified of her mysterious stalker who causes the earth to quake violently with the snap of his finger.

With her two best friends, Aria enters her first semester of college armed with a “no more men” pact in an effort to demagnetize the sleaze balls. Unfortunately, the agreement proves difficult when she meets Liam, a charming foreign exchange student, on the first day of school.

Aria quickly discovers that Liam is not only Mr. Perfect, but he also somehow ignites her supernatural side. Upon the invitation of her dream guy, Aria travels to Ireland through the study abroad program, dragging her friends along with her. But her world of euphoric bliss quickly comes crashing down as she uncovers the truth about her past, revealing who she really is and what she was born to do."   -Goodreads


***I'm going to try VERY hard not to give away any of the spoilers in this book because there are some super duper huge ones that I really want to write about but I can't because I want you all to read this book because it was really good... Wow, run on sentence much?***

I was trying to get away from the usual stuff I read. You know, the contemporary romance that I seem to read in a snap? I wanted to read a book that would take me all day to read. That I could get lost in in more than 2 hours. Because that's the kind of books I've been reading A LOT  Some of you may not have the time. Frankly, I don't know how I have that kind of time, but I some how managed it! I came across this book on Amazon and I believe it was free at the time, which is a BIG plus!

 I read this book in a day. I probably would have read it faster if I didn't have school and play practice and all that fun stuff, but what can ya do? ;) 

It took me a little while to get into the book but once I did, I was definitely hooked. Aria and her friends have decided to make a pact against all boys since Aria always seems to find herself choosing the wrong kind of guys. But of course, that pact's not gonna last for long! I mean, this is a romance book. What do you expect? Aria meets Liam. A guy who I absolutely SWOONED over. But then something kind of... happens... I can't go into any more detail! I CAN'T! 

Liam was adorable, charming, and seemed to know just the right things to say. And while Aria was falling for him, so was I. He treated her sweetly and never seemed to push her to do anything she didn't want to do. And it makes me so darn angry that everything changes. I LIKED HOW IT WAS GOING. Problems spring up and a whole bunch of crud is unrolled. Important stuff happens. Stuff I wanna share so badly but I can't because I HATE SPOILERS. 

Aria also has this somewhat "creepy stalker guy" that she always sees but can never find out who he is.   He will be big in the end of this book. Just you wait. And he will be a VERY big character in the second book. (I've already read it.) And let's just say, he's super swoon worthy too. He just doesn't really show it in this book. He kind of just gives off the creeper vibe. But not to worry! 

One problem I had with this book was the dialogue. There weren't a lot of contractions. So sometimes the conversation wouldn't flow as much as I would have liked it to. Instead of "haven't or can't" it was have not or can not. I just didn't think that a regular teenager would speak like that. I mean, I could understand Liam speaking like that because he was Ireland and maybe they speak like that? Who knows? It just felt a little choppy when Aria or her friends would speak. But after the first few chapters you don't really notice any more. You kind of just accept the fact, and move on. 

All in all this book was pretty fantastic! I would have written a WHOLE bunch more but I can't with all the spoilers and what not. So, I leave you with this. And hopefully you'll want to go buy it so you too can revel in it's spoilery goodness. And if anyone does buy this book and wants to discuss about it with me, please do! Book talk is FANTABULOUS! 

I give this book 4 out of 5 diva crowns! It was really good! Just some very frustrating moments. But  I definitely recommend it to paranormal/ fantasy romance lovers. It absolutely has that aspect, and it's not to pricey! Another plus! 




**********************************

I'm gonna be completely random here.. So, if any of you follow me on Twitter you know I'm somewhat obsessed with this song:

                                       


I seriously love Sara Bareilles. I DO. And I've pretty much learned how to play this song on the piano! YAY! But anyways, I know this has NOTHING to do with my review. But I just wanted all of you to know what I've had on repeat for the past week.

*****************************

Hope your day is filled with sparkles!




No comments: