Sunday 2 September 2012

So Over You by Gwen Hayes (Review)




Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Number of Pages: 226
For ages 14+

"Layney Logan, girl reporter. 

That's all she's ever wanted to be. This year, her senior year, not only does she have to share the coveted Senior Editor position with her arch nemesis, Jimmy Foster, she also has to figure out how to keep the school paper alive. With the local paper closing and the school cutting Journalism from the budget, it's a long shot. Working side-by-side with Foster, the guy she likes to call Lucifer, makes it even worse.

The only thing Layney dislikes more than swimming in the high school dating pool is Jimmy Foster thinking he got the best of her, so she takes
his ridiculous newspaper assignment--to go on twelve blind dates--to prove his powers of darkness won't work on her. The trouble is, the more she learns about herself on her journey of bad blind dates, the more she wonders if maybe Foster has known her better than she knows herself all this time.

And maybe she should have trusted him with the secret she’s kept for four years—the secret that broke them up to begin with." -Goodreads

Holy cow, holy cow, holy cow. This book was SO GOOD. I couldn't help talking about it to everyone and stinking texting Allie like crazy. I was looking for a quick book that I could read fast and be content with  the ending. This was SO MUCH MORE. (I'm a capsaholic, I apologize.)

Layney Logan is that girl who thinks she can take on everything. She's strong, she's independent, and she is awesooommeeee. I loved her. She was hilarious and the banter between her and Jimmy was absolutely priceless. Layney has a secret that you would never ever ever ever ever guess. Throughout the whole entire book I'm thinking, oh she's just mad at Jimmy for the things he did. Blah, blah, blah. Wrong. So wrong. Your jaw will drop to the floor. I promise you you will be just as clueless as I was throughout the whole entire book. And this secret is serious. SERIOUSLY SERIOUS.

I adored the idea of the 12 blind dates. It was hilarious and I always got excited when I turned to the next chapter to figure out who she was going on a date this time. Some were a lot better than others.. One thing that was amazing was that out of these Layney got a best friend! Yay for someone to share stuff with! She also found someone that she was actually interested in! Of course, with the rules she can't really have any contact with him until after all of the dates, but of course, he found a way! I was in the middle of how much I liked this guy. He was sweet and treated her nicely but I mean, I was rooting for Jimmy the whole time because that guy is just swoon worthy as I'll get out. And I will show you just how swoon worthy he is later. Because I have a quote for you all. And if that quote doesn't make you want to go buy this book nothing will.

Now that we're on to the subject of Jimmy Foster... He is magnificent! At the beginning you think he's totally arrogant and thinks he's all that, but getting into the book and reading about how fantabulous he is will change your mind quite quickly. And here's the quote that is my absolute favorite of what Jimmy says to Layney:


“'I went home that day, and I wrote your name over and over on a piece of paper. I must have written it a hundred times. My mom found the paper a few days later in my sock drawer. She wanted to know why I'd done that...'

I wanted to know why more than anything I'd ever remembered wanting, but a part of me hoped he'd chicken out.

'I told her I liked the way your name made my heart jump.'”

SERIOUSLY?! ARE YOU SWOONING YET?! That is the kind of stuff this guy says. How adorable is that? And by that time I was head over heels. ...For a fictional character... Yeaaahh, I have issues. He also gave Layney advice and always believed in her, even if she didn't realize it. See? This is why I was rooting for the guy.

With every blind date, Layney learned more about herself and what she was keeping bottled up. And every blind date seemed to bring more feelings for Jimmy. And could you blame the girl? Jimmy and Layney had a love-hate relationship, even if it seemed they hated more than loved. But looking into it, you could definitely tell something was between them. And there were some moments that made you stop and wonder if they were both completely over each other. Because you know they're TOTALLY not.

The ending had me in pieces. It was adorable and so amazing. I read the ending probably five times. And then continued to talk non stop about it to Allie afterwards.

I. Loved. This. Book. It was heartwarming, hilarious, and everything in between. I recommend it to contemporary romance lovers. Especially if you're looking for the love hate relationships because it is just plain hilarious. 5 out of 5 diva crowns, and not a crown less!

I'm going to leave you with one more quote, because there are just so many good ones to choose from!

“My best advice is to be yourself. Unless you’re psychotic, then you might want to try a different tactic.” -Jimmy Foster, So Over You by Gwen Hayes.



2 comments:

Heather said...

With a review like that, how can I not read it?!

Jewelz said...

I was hoping that would be the response! ;D Thanks for reading!