Thursday 17 May 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (Review)

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Number of Pages: 236
For ages 12+

"Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan’s life. She’s stuck at JFK, late to her father’s second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley’s never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport’s cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he’s British, and he’s in seat 18C. Hadley’s in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it." -Goodreads

I was just browsing through contemporary romance on Goodreads and found this little gem! I needed a little refresher from so many paranormal/ dystopian books and what better way to do that than by reading contemporary romance! 

On a side note... the title is definitely a mouthful! ;)

The story takes place in the span of 24 hours. You would think that since it had at least 200 pages the events would just drag on, but it definitely didn't. It was fun knowing that so much could happen in one day. Especially so many eventful things!

I loved Hadley. I loved her personality, I loved her flaws, and I loved the way she thought. Plus, she loved to read. Who wouldn't like that in a main character? She wasn't one of those main characters who made a whole bunch of stupid decisions. Her decisions actually had reason behind them, and even though some were on a whim, I couldn't help agreeing with her. Hadley has to go all the way to London for her father's wedding where he will be getting married to a woman Hadley has never even met. Talk about difficult. And on top of that, she's just missed her flight. Fortunately, without her missing her flight, there would pretty much be no story to tell! While waiting, she meets a fantabulous and may I say, SWOON WORTHY boy named Oliver.

Oliver was super duper sweet and had loads of charm. Plus, he was quite the gentleman! The chemistry between him and Hadley was absolutely there and you couldn't help rooting for them to work out. I'm not usually one who thinks that someone can fall in love or even realize that they have really strong feelings for someone in the span of 24 hours, but by the end I was on board! Of course, under the circumstances it could be a tad different than other situations. You got to learn a lot about Oliver and his life in America and in London. You saw what problems he had to deal with and some of his flaws. Both he and Hadley both uncovered each other's true personalities.

Something else that I really liked was the way the author used those 200 pages. There's only so much you can write over something that happens in the span of 24 hours in 200 pages. She had lots of flashbacks that gave you a great background on Hadley's life and why some of these problems in her life occurred.

This book definitely had a little flair of Anna and the French Kiss, and there was definitely an English boy in there too. ;) I couldn't help sharing all of my comments to my friends nearby and I'm sure they got annoyed at times..

After reading this book I had realized that contemporary romance may be my favorite genre. Surprising, I know! I LOVE dystopian romance and paranormal romance and fantasy romance and all that jazz, but when I've read a whole bunch of those different genres, it's nice to be able to read a book where the main aspect is romance and there isn't any huge aspects to digest.

This book was a super fast read for me, it had amazing romance, and super fantabulous characters! 5 out of 5 diva crowns! :)



No comments: