Sunday 18 September 2011

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey (ARC review)

Genre: Paranormal
Number of Pages: 336
For ages 13+ for limited language.

"When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned." -Goodreads

I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read, but it wasn't so easy that you were bored with the plot. I was really interested in reading this book when I read the description.

Wren, had an extremely strong voice that you could immediately recognize as her. She had powers that kind of reminded me of Beautiful Creatures, in a way, but that's when the similarities stopped. Wren brings back her boyfriend that she was madly in love with. Little did she know what consequences she would get out of it. Now, she's realizing that this Danny isn't the same as her Danny. I like the idea of having a zombie aspect, but not having the flesh eating part. That just gives me the heebeejeebees. <----How are you even supposed to type that word?

I thought that since Wren was bringing back her boyfriend from the dead that would be the only romance, so I was a little discouraged. Then it was a nice surprise to see that a boy named Gabriel came into the picture. Gabriel is sweet and really likes Wren, oh and he can read minds. He can tell that Wren has power. So he's the only one Wren can go to about her situation. Throughout the whole entire book, Gabriel is always there for Wren, which is why, he is now in my "Swoon Worthy Boy List." I'm sorry if you're getting tired of all these swoon worthy guys, but I've been reading some good books!

A lot of the people who love Wren are really worried for her. They think she's just in grief about her boyfriend's death but they don't even know the half of it. So while Wren is trying to figure out how to return Danny to death, she's trying to piece back together her life, as well. On top of all of that, Danny is getting more aggressive and it's worrying Wren so much that she has to painfully put spells on Danny to stop it all. I felt the grief of Wren. I felt for her. I couldn't possibly imagine having to go through all of that and having to remain calm while trying to get your friends back. And she couldn't possibly tell them her situation since they don't even know about her powers to begin with.

This book was fantastic and I definitely recommend it. The only problem I had with it, is that I didn't really get to see Gabriel and Wren's relationship progress. It just kind of abruptly stopped at the end. This book comes out in about 2 days... so not much of an ARC, it was from BEA and I had so many that I read a lot very soon before they came out! All lovers of paranormal or zombies in a not-so-zombie way would love this book. I give it 4 out of 5 diva crowns.





1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Ooh, this sounds good. I'd love to win.