Tuesday 26 June 2012

Hourglass by Myra McEntire (Review)


Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Number of Pages: 387
For ages 13+


"One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?" -Goodreads

You are probably all wondering, Is it Sunday? Did one week really go by so fast? Kay, so I'm sure you're not thinking this, BUT it is indeed Tuesday-very early in the morning, Tuesday, but still Tuesday none the less-and I am indeed writing a review two days after I wrote a scheduled review. But hopefully no one's complaining that I'm writing more than one review this week. And if someone is, I'm sorry!

I seriously NEEDED to write a review about this book. Stat. And it seems to me that all of my good reviews come either when I'm sick or late at night. I really don't know why, but it happens. So here's a  late night review for all of you. I will be posting this in the morning, though! Hopefully it lives up to all of its glory! I've got my headphones in listening to my Ingrid Michaelson Pandora station and not paying attention to any of the outside world. ...I mean business.

Going on... This book was super fantabulous and made me cry, scream, (yes I actually did scream out loud.. I regret nothing.) and laugh. And I can't stop thinking about it or the characters.

Emerson had an amazing personality. I loved that she wasn't some girl who when all of this crappy stuff came into her life she ran away from it. She dealt with it. Luckily, she had gorgeous Michael to stand behind her, but still! Everyone needs someone to back them up. Even though the person backing her up just so happened to be a gorgeous guy who was beyond swoon worthy, but who's really thinking about that? I held a lot of sympathy for her just because she had been through so much. I mean, I would think that I had gone crazy if I could see people from the past. But maybe that's just me? ;) She was beyond hilarious and pretty much had a snarky response to anything. She definitely stood out from other normal YA characters, AND may I just say, she could flip a guy over her shoulder. Are you all impressed yet? If you aren't, then WHY THE HECK NOT?!  There weren't many times when I wanted to scream, "YOU'RE SO STUPID! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" But when there were those times I usually, deep down inside, was agreeing with her reasons for these decisions. There was also many-a-times when I wanted to go, "You go girl!" And then fist pump into the air. But, alas, I refrained.

And now we're onto Michael. Amazing, beyond swoon worthy, Michael. There was so much anticipation for him and Emerson to just stinkin' get together already. He was one of those guys that you wish you had in real life. And yes, he's goin' on the list! If anyone who doesn't know what the list is, go check it out in my tabs up there! If you're lookin' for books with swoon worthy boys in them check that list out. I assure you there's a book in that list that you will love. Michael never ever stopped to think about himself. He always tried to do the right thing. Which sometimes was super hard to do and sometimes made me want to pull my hair out, but it was still endearing. Once the romance did kick in between Emerson and Michael, it was magical. And I know that sounds totally cheesy but it's the truth. I adored every second of them together.

Now, there were some times when I couldn't help falling for Michael's best friend, Kaleb. Because he was also amazingly sweet and caring toward Emerson and I couldn't help having a tiny part of me rooting for him and Emerson to be together. I said a TINY part.

I was worried that the time travel aspect of this book would just lose me entirely. Because, let's face it, science is not my strongest subject. Far from it, actually. Fortunately, I followed along quite well. There was a very limited amount of information that I didn't fully understand. So, if I can understand this stuff, I'm sure pretty much anyone else can. And I actually found it *gasp* interesting!

The ending was amazing. It left you wanting to read the next book, but it didn't leave you with one of those darn cliff hangers. I love cliff hangers, don't get me wrong. But, it's refreshing to be able to read a book where it ends with something satisfying yet leaves you wanting more. By the time I finished I was wishing there was more to read. 387 pages weren't enough. Nuh uh. Luckily, I have Timepiece sitting on my bedside table ready to read! I'm hoping I will love it just as much even though it isn't in the point of view of Emerson but of Kaleb. We shall see!

I give this book 5 out of 5 diva crowns. But you probably knew that would be my rating by now. ;) I love this book and I can't stop thinking about it! I can't believe it took me so long to read it! Sheesh!

Thanks for reading! Have a fantabulous day!


4 comments:

Heather said...

This one has been sitting on my shelf for a while too. I just haven't had time to read it. But wow, after reading your review it sounds like I need to MAKE time! Thanks for the fantastic review, this one is moving up my list of books to-read.

Trisha Leigh said...

Ahhh I'm SO GLAD you loved it Julia! Can't wait to hear what you think of Timepiece!!! <3

Mary @ My Sisters Bookshelf said...

If you were compelled to immediately review, that is always a great sign! This has been on my TBR pile for ages... I should probably start it like yesterday... :)

Jewelz said...

Yes! You should definitely read it! :) It was SUPER good! :)