Sunday 29 April 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton (Review)


Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
Number of Pages: 370
For ages 12+

"Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s [queen]." -Goodreads

I know I was supposed to review the whole series of the Celestra series, but then I figured out the last two books aren't even out and I got super frustrated by the ending of the sixth book. So, I'll be reviewing a different book!

My momma went to the RT convention in Chicago and got me scads of books! YAY for books! This just so happened to be one of the books she got me. PLUS she got me a super special surprise that I'll show you at the end of the post because I really need to start writing this post now.

It took me a little bit to get into the book, but once I got into it, it was pretty good!

The plot is fantastic. It's something new and something I've never read before. 

Nikki wasn't a character that completely stuck out to me, she wasn't a character that I would remember when I thought of my top favorites. She was still enjoyable to read, though. Nikki has to find a way to explain to her friends and family why she left for so long, and why she came back. Too bad she can't really explain without people thinking she's crazy. Cole persuades Nikki into coming with him in result of taking the pain away. Nikki had dealt with a lot. Her mother had died from a hit and run crash, the jury found the man who did it guilty, and she had caught Jack, her boyfriend at the time, *SPOILER ALERT* with another girl. *SPOILER OVER*

There's two love interests in this book, Cole and Jack. Cole was the one to take her into Everneath where she fell in love, Jack was her boyfriend before she left. I can tell you right now, I was definitely loving Jack. I'm hoping the author wasn't wanting me to like Cole whatsoever because I definitely didn't. I did feel some sympathy for him at specific points, but I wasn't too fond of the guy. I could not help getting SUPER frustrated at Nikki when she even THOUGHT about going back with Cole to be his queen. That guy is a cockroach. Luckily, Nikki was pretty stuck on keeping away from Cole. But Jack, he was stinkin' amazing. He was willing to hear why Nikki left, and was willing to help. 

There were definitely twists in this book, things you weren't expecting. And the ending? HUGE TWIST. It really gets you excited for the next book without pulling out your hair in anger. 

I really loved this book. It was an easy read that I read quite fast. It had a great plot, and it had great twists. I give this book 5 out of 5 diva crowns!


****************************************

My momma was super sweet and got me one of the most amazing surprises EVER....


A SIGNED COPY OF LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR!

I literally squealed when I saw it! Probably one of the best surprises ever. :) I'm one lucky duck! 



No comments: