Saturday 19 March 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Review)


Genre: Dystopian romance
Number of Pages:441
Ages 13+ for some mild and occasional strong language

"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love." -Goodreads



Delirium by Lauren Oliver has a GREAT storyline about love being banned. Although it was really good at some parts, other parts didn't jump at me.


Lena is the main character of the book. In the beginning, Lena is over-joyed to have the procedure where you no longer have to love. They believe that love can lead to war, hate, and death. Lena later on starts to realize that maybe she DOES want to love. I wish I could have connected more with Lena.

Alex is the male main character. Once Lena meets Alex she has second thoughts about the procedure. Alex has many secrets that Lena does not know about.

Lots of people are comparing Delirium to Matched. In a way, Delirium is like Matched.For instance, I think that Cassia is a lot like In others it's not.

Unfortunately, this book didn't have enough exciting parts to keep me entertained. I loved Lauren's first book, Before I fall it was outstanding. So I know she is an AMAZING writer. This book just didn't completely work out. I really liked the storyline and the characters, though.

I give this book 3 out of 5 diva crowns.




3 comments:

Lori M. Lee said...

Mmm, I've been really curious about this book so thank you for this review. I still want to read it myself and form my own opinion but I love reading others reviews.

Jewelz said...

Thank you for reading my review! I love comments! :) I can't wait to know what you think of the book. I liked it, but it didn't keep my attention.

Unknown said...

Great review, Jewelz. I like that you said there were parts you liked, but how it didn't keep you entertained.